Revolutionize the genomics industry!
We are launching a stealth start-up created to manage bioinformatic computations at scale. Financially backed and operationally supported by IBM, this start-up is well positioned to transform the way biotech, pharma, and research organizations discover insights and breakthroughs.
What We Offer:
We offer a competitive compensation package, autonomy to shape the direction of this initiative, and opportunity for career advancement.
You will... enter a highly motivated team, coming from different disciplines and walks of life. We believe great teams bring great ideas to life. We value proactive team members with a strong sense of ownership, people who are able to imagine the world they want to live in and are ready to solve any problem to make it happen.
You'll get the exciting opportunity to join us and shape our initiative's future from the beginning.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Research is seeking a Lead DevOps Engineer to work at its Almaden, CA Research Center.
You will develop the cultural philosophies, practices, and tools that increases our organization's ability to deliver applications and services at high velocity. You will collaborate with product, engineering, and design teams to build scalable, high-performance web computation applications. Overseeing team development of the computation engine, including workflow execution, job scale-out and performance, data management, version management, and container image management.
You will be leading application development teams/squads to define and implement DevOps best practices to support building modern enterprise-scale cloud native applications.
• Manage problem identification, system architecture definition, software specification and design, implementation, testing, customer training, and deployment of open source solutions
• Work with development teams to automate build/test capability and enable a continuous integration environment that sustains high productivity levels and emphasizes defect prevention techniques
• Deploy docker containers, configure and optimize resource allocations - Ensuring newly developed/upgraded containers meet platform standards and ecosystem integration protocols
• Work in close coordination with the development and operations team such that the application is in line with performance according to the customer's expectation
• Collaborates with program or product managers to provide significant contribution on technical elements of sprint/iteration planning, estimation, risk, dependencies, and user stories definition
• Drive incidents/ RCA/ the corrective and preventive actions to closure
• Build common tooling to solve problems, automate and ensure problems are not repeated
• Mentor and guides development team members on DevOps practices in the context of cloud native development
• Work with team driving all aspects of the development related deliverables which would include dependencies, legal, security, alpha’s, beta’s, etc.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related area is required.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• At least 5 years of experience in applying DevOps with security and system reliability engineering principles and Software Development practices
• At least 3 years of experience with developing and deploying cloud-native, container-based applications with microservice architecture – including Kubernetes configuration and deployment
• At least 3 years of experience with Git, GitHub, and developing Toolchains, using container registry to implement CI/CD
• Experience with release management and project management. The ability to effectively collaborate with other teams on requirements, schedules, and track completion
• At leat 3 years working and developing within Agile Development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
• Experience with complex systems problem determination, scalability and performance
• Experience with infrastructure as code frameworks, such as Terraforms
• Knowledge of applying 12 Factor App practices
• Proficient with one or more project management tools – ZenHub, Jira, Git, Aha etc.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
• Experience or knowledge of Openshift
• Knowledge of automation / configuration management frameworks such as Ansible, Salt
• Experience with NodeJS, and UI frameworks such as Angular or ReactRead more