We are looking for a Researcher or Senior Researcher to join our team in Princeton, New Jersey! This role will focus on novel ways to establish security testing methods for AI/Machine Learning applications, including Adversarial Analytics and penetration testing for smart devices. In addition to this, the role will also include developing new and improved approached to use Data Analytics for security testing. These topics will be addressed in an industrial context, aligned with the industries... where Siemens is active.
The right person will have a proactive mentality, an inquisitive mind, a passion to uncover how to break things, love solving problems with a can-do attitude and possess the drive to constantly improve with the goal to become a specialist in your field. Whether you are a recent university graduate, or a seasoned professional, this could be the job for you!
Our team is part of Siemens Technology and is composed of makers, innovators, engineers, and researchers that unite a passion about cybersecurity and securing our customers’ assets and networks - in domains such as control systems used in energy utilities that are part of the nation’s critical infrastructure, smart factories, building automation systems, intelligent transportation systems, healthcare, and innovative new products and solutions developed by Siemens. Our close contact to all our business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications.
In this role you will:
• Define research projects that advance the state-of-the-art where Security Testing / Penetration Testing and Data Analytics / AI / Machine Learning meet, and execute these research projects in the role of Principal Investigator. Publish results where possible.
• Develop new and improved approaches to test AI-enabled industrial devices for robustness against cybersecurity attacks (e.g., Adversarial Analytics), as well as new and improved methods to use AI / Machine Learning methods to improve security testing.
• Seek, acquire, and execute government funded research projects to advance our and the government’s research agenda.
• Collaborate and form teams for research projects from our cybersecurity and data analytics research groups on a global level, as well as from external partners (e.g., universities, national labs, etc). Host and mentor interns.
• Ensure relevance of research and alignment to actual business needs by conducting Cybersecurity Assessments and Penetration Tests (incl. hands-on technical work) as an individual, self-managed tester, or in small project teams. Assignments will mostly be in-house, but may also include pentesting opportunities at Siemens customers and partners.
• Work with application/product owners within Siemens to determine their need for security assessments, present and explain the employed methodology, and support them with feedback and verification during mitigation.
• Represent Adversarial Analytics as a key area of OT Security Testing research within the company, as well as in applicable Siemens-external research communities, in the role of a key subject matter expert.
Qualified candidates will have:
• PhD in Computer Science, Information Security, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree / experience is required
• Researchers will have a minimum of 3 years of post-graduate academic or industry experience in industrial cybersecurity and/or security analytics, preferably with a strong focus on Industrial Cybersecurity. Senior Researchers will have a minimum of 6 years of experience.
• Hands-on penetration testing or alternative relevant cybersecurity experience required
• Excellent up-to-date technical and hands-on knowledge in current attack methods, penetration testing methods, hacking tools, and in mitigating cybersecurity risk in the industrial domain
• Experience in developing and deploying machine learning applications
• Prior research experience in the area of Adversarial Analytics is a significant plus
• Experience in professional software development (especially agile and/or DevOps) and typical tools of the trade another significant plus
• Excellent communication and technical leadership skills; need to be able to explain sophisticated ideas and methods on multiple technical levels
• Strong publication record
• Proven understanding of real-time, embedded control, or automation systems is a plus
• Experience with scientific proposal writing
• GPEN, GWAPT, GXPN, OSCP, OSCE, CCNP, and CCSP are a plus but not required
• Willingness to travel, up to 20% (domestic/international)
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
Siemens Technology employees are passionate about applied research. We create technology with purpose that benefits society - more agile and productive factories, more intelligent and efficient buildings and grids, more reliable and sustainable transportation. Our work powers Siemens products and is regularly featured in patents and publications. We operate in a global ecosystem focused on innovation, partnering with our businesses, government agencies, and leading academic institutions on highly visible projects where collaboration is key.
Our people continuously develop their talents, are curious, and are not afraid to take risks in pursuit of technological innovation. A strong learning culture empowers employees at Siemens Technology to own their growth and development.
We know that diversity fuels innovation and drives business success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, where diversity of thought, culture, and experience is seen as our greatest strength. This is what brings our best ideas to life.
We take pride in bringing our best selves to work every day, prioritizing individual health, work-life blend, and flexibility.
At Siemens Technology, the success of our employees drives our success.
We are more than employees; we are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click hereRead more