The National Research Center for College and University Admissions™ (NRCCUA®), now a part of ACT®, is a membership organization that links colleges and universities to the nation’s largest college and career planning program for students seeking post-secondary guidance. Members receive exclusive access to Encoura™ Data Lab our educational data science, analytics, and research platform.
Come join a team of professionals dedicated to helping students going... through one of the most challenging aspects of their educational life whilst also helping colleges provide the most impactful opportunities to students going through the application process with our industry leading products.
We are looking for an experienced Senior AWS DevOps Engineer who will partner up with our product and technology teams to design and develop processes and systems that will enhance our AWS cloud environment in areas like monitoring, optimization, automation, data maintenance, and security tooling to make us more scalable, more secure, and help us deliver more real-time systems for our users.
A day in the life of a DevOps Engineer:
• You’ll get to work with a tech stack that includes AWS Core Services, Elastic Beanstalk, Kubernetes, API Gateway, Lambda, Docker, Linux, Windows, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, MongoAtlas, Node.JS, Python, Exasol, Datadog, GitHub, JIRA & Confluence
• Provide day-to-day operational support of our applications on AWS.
• Work closely with development teams to integrate their projects into the production and test AWS environments and ensure their ongoing support.
• Be a DevOps champion working closely with other internal teams to build security, reliability, and scalability into the development lifecycle.
• Provide input on design and AWS-related considerations / options.
• Gain functional knowledge of the applications you support.
• Dive deep into the product stack to troubleshoot as needed.
• Build engineering automation and productivity tools to streamline and scale applications in the production environment.
• Troubleshoot and resolve application development, deployments and operations issues.
• Architect and implement reliable infrastructure services on AWS, from the ground up, to deliver highly scalable services.
• Serve in an on-call rotation as an escalation contact for critical production issues.
• Within 1 month you would be learning about our business, our environment and how we work. You will be working hands on with our technology and getting to know your teammates.
• Within 3 months you would be working with our development teams to stand up our technology stack and looking for opportunities to make improvements. You will have several technologies or products that you are becoming responsible for. You will help diagnose and resolve operational issues in our systems.
• Within 6 months you will be looking to the future across our technologies and crafting the strategic roadmap when it comes to architecture, operations, and capabilities. You will continue to develop your AWS toolbelt with relative technology certifications and education and to inform the development of team members.
• Within 1 year you will lean into strategic corporate AWS architecture decisions and participate in long-term planning.
• You hold a BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent, or a Bachelor’s in an unrelated field with at least 5 years of professional experience. A relevant Master's degree is a plus.
• You have 5+ years of experience in DevOps with 3+ years using AWS core services (EC2, VPC, ELB, S3, CloudFormation, RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, API Gateway, etc).
• You bring demonstrated Kubernetes expertise in designing, deploying, monitoring and managing systems including EKS
• You are familiar with the concepts of microservice architecture and how those concepts are implemented in AWS with services such as API Gateway.
• You champion Infrastructure as Code mentality and can take the lead in transformation from manual “hands-on” in AWS to Infrastructure as Code.
• You have very strong scripting and automation skills – you believe you can automate just about everything.
• You strive to learn new technologies and look for ways to stay up to date in this rapidly changing industry.
As well as having:
• Hands-on experience with troubleshooting, securing, and improving manually configured AWS environments.
• Experience with Application Performance Monitoring (APM) and log aggregation at scale.
• Experience installing, configuring, and managing DBMS and RDS’s such as MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL and MongoAtlas DB . Experience with Exasol is a plus.
• Experience supporting application development teams who work in an iterative-based development environment using Agile/Scrum/Kanban.
• A solid understanding of AWS billing and cost modelling.
• Experience with build & release automation tools and methodologies. Experience with TeamCity is a plus.
• Experience using configuration management tools such as Terraform and Cloud Formation
• An appreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in systems architecture.What sets us apart?
Mission driven culture
Paid holidays and generous PTO policy
Generous benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Life and Disability, HSA, FSA, Tuition Reimbursement, and 401k
Collaborative and energetic work environment with other motivated, career-driven professionals
NRCCUA is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. All applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
NRCCUA endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability and need an alternative method for applying, please contact the People Team.