Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher and 5th largest digital platform.
There are 47m online readers in the UK, 30.8m of who get local news from the Live network - 65% of all adults. Our network of over 70 websites provides 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8.1 billion page views per year.
About the role:
Within the emerging products team at Reach... we are constantly striving to innovate and looking to disrupt the publishing industry. Three years ago, we created an innovation team to produce new products for the business. During this process, we built a product called InYourArea, which is now the UK's leading local news and information platform and is connecting communities across the full-breadth country.
Following on from this success, we are now looking to do it all over again! We have started a brand new engineering team called Reach Labs, which operates as an entirely lean and innovation-driven team - focusing relentlessly on rapid innovation. We are on the lookout for a Senior Fullstack Engineer who would love to join us at the start of this exciting journey.
This role requires to be in the office 3 days a week and 2 days remote working.
• We are looking to build a small and cohesive team, who will always optimise for the shortest time to market, which will often result in tech debt being introduced on purpose, and factored out once a feature has been validated. You have to be comfortable with this style of working
• You will be building multiple greenfield projects from scratch to MVP stage where the front-ends will be built using a modern React stack consisting of React 17, NextJs, Storybook and Typescript. The front-end applications will also have serverless architecture
• You will also be involved in back end development mostly consisting of REST API's and AWS Lambda functions, mostly built in Node.js with Serverless Framework and using MongoDB and AWS DynamoDB as datastores
• You will also have the opportunity, if you show an aptitude for it, to get involved in app development using React Native
• Although we have picked a small selection of technologies & frameworks to get you started, you will have full autonomy and ownership for the products you build
• You will work closely with: Team lead, the Head of Product, and the Head of Engineering; and other full stack engineers
• We will deploy multiple times a day to production
The Ideal Candidate:
• We are looking for a Fullstack developer with commercial experience in both front and back end, but we understand that you may be stronger at one than the other
• An understanding and preference for Functional Programming is highly desirable, however again we are happy to teach you this otherwise
• We use AWS extensively, and we provision our own resources (using AWS CDK/Cloudformation), so some knowledge of AWS will help. We expect to mentor you in this aspect though
• Healthcare & Dental cashback scheme
• 25 days holiday
• 6% matched pension
• Holiday purchase scheme
• Cycle scheme
• Technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World
• Car scheme
• Employee loans
• Lots of high street discounts
• 1st stage 30 min video call
• 2nd stage technical exercise 1hr 30 min - 2 hours