Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square... Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
From the cozy local wine store to the trendy sneaker pop-up, the Retail team at Square is finding new ways to equip retail sellers and their staff with the tools they need to succeed. Our team is relentlessly customer focused and helps smaller retailers meet their customers wherever they are: be that in-store, online, or on social/messaging platforms. We’re addressing the desire for clean and minimalist store counters with intuitive yet sophisticated iOS, Android, and Web-based software that integrates seamlessly with our sleek hardware, all backed by highly reliable services. The Retail team benefits from the resources of (and contributes to) the larger organization while staying focused on solving Retail-specific challenges.
As a technical leader on the Retail Inventory team, you will make high quality contributions while also coordinating and guiding junior engineers to do the same. You'll work cross functionally with Product and Design to build features that present elegant UI for complex problems, saving sellers time and reducing anxiety as they strive to manage and understand their inventory – logistics that are at the very heart of every retailer’s business.
• Leverage your extensive expertise in either web frontend or server technologies to lead and empower a full stack group of Android, iOS, web frontend, and server engineers building solutions together that meet our sellers’ challenges.
• Deliver highly impactful tools for Retail sellers to manage and understand their inventory.
• Work across platforms to power remarkable frontend experiences with robust backend services and APIs.
• Create and maintain technical systems and write concise, well-organized code and sensible tests.
• Achieve the levels of reliability and correctness that merchants and buyers expect when they entrust Square with their financial and business information.
• Collaborate across teams in an agile environment to deliver solutions that solve complex business problems.
• 5+ years of software engineering experience developing scalable production software and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
• Ability to lead and mentor a group of software engineers to deliver solutions while fostering growth.
• Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work.
• An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others.
• Empathy for your customers and colleagues.
• Motivation to build beautiful, refined and intuitive products
• Curiosity, and a desire to learn and teach
• Proficiency in server and/or web frontend technologies
• Experience with Go or Java preferred, but not required
Technologies we use and teach:
• Protocol Buffers, gRPC, Ember, Guice, Rails
• MySQL, Elasticsearch, Snowflake
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
• Healthcare coverage
• Retirement Plans
• Employee Stock Purchase Program
• Wellness perks
• Paid parental leave
• Paid time off
• Learning and Development resourcesRead more